» On-line Tools
» Preparing Transport
» Loading Restrictions (ZAN)
Loading Restrictions (ZAN)
Any loading restrictions or limitations (referred to as ZAN) on a complete wagon load are announced based on four different factors (see below). ČD Cargo always responds to such factors by issuing a ZAN Document, which includes single items of the service restriction announced. Such procedure is based on the text of Section ‚G‘, Part I, Smluvní přepravní podmínky pro veřejnou drážní nákladní dopravu Českých drah (Contractual Terms and Conditions for Public Railway Cargo Transport of České dráhy). The loading restrictions are published in the form of telegrams.
Loading restrictions/limitations for a complete wagon load can be imposed in the following cases:
- Track impassability as a result of a natural disaster, accident or track reconstruction.
- Unpredictable defect of track serviceability.
- Requests of other railway companies for restriction of operation.
- Accumulation of transported items on a siding rail, or another carrier’s request (such an event will be charged as per the Tarif pro přepravu vozových zásilek; Tariff for Transport of Complete Wagon Loads).
What Does Each ‘ZAN’ Contain?
Each ZAN contains its heading, i.e. the ‚ZAN‘ label and a loading restriction number in the form XXX – YY – ZZZZ, where the meaning of each field is as follows:
- XXX – Serial No. of the issued ZAN for the given year,
- YY – Number of the railway network, into which the loading was restricted;
- ZZZZ – Year of issue of the ‘ZAN’.
Subsequently, the text part of the ‚ZAN‘ specifies single items of such restriction, and includes the following points:
- Reason for issue of the ZAN (e.g. information on the request of another railway company and/or customer, or specification of the impulse, such as exclusion, flood, etc.).
- Territory of restricted loading (e.g. specific railway stations or all stations of the relevant railway network; in addition, it may also specify whether the ‘ZAN’ concerns any concrete recipient and/or district of a railway station, such as a siding.)
- Territory, from which the loading was restricted (e.g. only from the Czech Republic or other countries).
- Type of shipment. (Currently, only complete wagon loads are involved, as České dráhy cargo transport does not provide transport of general cargo and express parcels. However, it may be specified whether the ‚ZAN‘ concerns any single shipment, any whole train and/or any wagon which had not been provided by a railway transport company.)
- Goods affected by the ‘ZAN’ (e.g. all kinds of articles in the case of exclusion in the station; and/or any articles falling under certain nomenclature).
- Exceptions from the loading restriction; i.e. specification of a region for which the ‘ZAN’ shall not be applied (e.g. shipments to such part of the station, which will be served even during the validity of the ‘ZAN’; shipments in whole trains and/or shipments designed for repairs during construction work, etc.).
- Validity period of the loading restriction. Here, information such as ‚Effective Immediately‘, „Until Recalled‘ and specific information on the start/end of validity may be combined based on the given situation. If the impulse, based on which the specific ‚Until Recalled‘ ZAN was issued, has expired, such ‚ZAN‘ is cancelled by a ‚Cancel Telegram‘.
- Instructions for handling en route shipments (e.g. if such shipment must be stopped, or if such transport may be completed and the en route shipments will be accepted).